April 5, 2006

The Flaming Lips, Stephen King and Jon Foer

I picked up the new Flaming Lips album At War with the Mystics and the CD single for The W.A.N.D. I haven't listened to them enough to tell you if they're any good, but I will later. Free with the purchase, came a 7" single of The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song with Why Does it End? as the B-Side.


I also recently finished reading Cell by Stephen King and Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer.

Cell was an average King book, meaning I enjoyed it - but it wasn't as good as The Stand or The Dark Tower series. It reads like a zombie movie, which was King's intent, and moves quickly like one too - I guess it makes sense that it's already being turning into a film.

Everthing is Illuminated is a quirky holocaust novel that's non-linear and at times tedious. I thoroughly enjoyed Foer's most recent book Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close (a quirky 9/11 novel) but thought that the older book undercut itself on occassion by becoming too odd, which for me says a lot. I'd still recommend it, however, because it's unique, tells a great story and mixes humor with real-world horror, which is not as easy task.