April 2, 2006

Wilco vs. Son Volt

I've seen both Wilco and Son Volt recently and enjoyed both concerts, but the Wilco show was unbelievable - it was the best show I've seen other than the 2003 R.E.M. show in Raleigh when Bill Berry played. Tweedy and the band were 100% on and sounded as good as they do on their new live CD, Kicking Television. They didn't play Misunderstood, but they played everything else and ended with a great version of Kingpin. Portastatic opened.



Son Volt was another story. They played The Music Farm, and the venue was way too small for how loud they played - by the end of the night everything sounded mushy and my ears rang for days. I saw Jay Farrar at the same venue when he was touring solo, and it was a much better performance. My wife did manage to get the set list, however. Shannon McNally opened and was awesome.