April 28, 2006

Flashback Friday: Miles Davis

Earlier this week, Leah and I had the opportunity to visit our local Social Security office, so Leah could change her last name (she is assimilating). If you’ve never been to a Social Security office, just think of a DMV, running with the efficiency of a one-legged turtle. For an hour and a half, Leah and I sat in uncomfortable chairs behind a woman who liked to hit herself in the head. We tried to read our books, but head-hitting is fun to watch.

Finally, our number (E43) was called.

Our trip to the counter was brief, but, as always, I tried to make things interesting. I asked the nice lady behind the counter if she ever changed her name just for fun. She said no, that it would require managerial approval. But she did say that a guy came in once with no identification or paperwork, wanting to change his name to Miles Davis. I asked her if he could play the trumpet? She said she didn’t know. I said okay. And then we left.



One of my favorite albums - an often overlooked Miles Davis record - is Someday My Prince Will Come. Some critics say it’s not Miles at his best, but that’s okay with me. The album is relaxing and beautiful and (forgive the adjective) cool. Recorded in March of 1961, it marked the end of an era – it was the last time John Coltrane recorded with the Davis Sextet. Coltrane plays on two of the original six tracks: Someday My Prince Will Come and Teo.

The album also has the coolest named song in the history of the world – Pfrancing. And the album cover is graced with Davis’s’ wife, Frances.

Accompanied by soft piano and gracefully understated drums, Davis and Coltrane play with quiet confidence. They play slow and mournful, like a one-legged turtle.